SEVEN IMPORTANT DECISIONS* (by Janine Mick Wills)
We make decisions every day. Some seem small and others large. But each one we make weaves into the fabric of our life. We need to make wise decisions based upon God’s Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
When the following seven important decisions are made, it will be easier for a person to make other decisions that will not only affect her but also others around her. No man (or woman) is an island. Our outreach is more wide-spread than we could ever imagine.
- Salvation – The most important decision you will make.
- John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.
- John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- 1 John 5:11-13 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- Scripture study – The believer should study Scripture for Christian growth.
- 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Psalm 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
- Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Psalm 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
- Separation – The believer should practice personal and ecclesiastical separation.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
- Titus 2:11, 12 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.
- Surrender – The believer should surrender her life for service and crucify herself daily.
- Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
- Romans12:1, 2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Soul winning – The believer should obey the Great Commission.
- Matthew 28:19, 20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- 1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
- Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
- Sacrifice of praise – The believer should praise the Lord in song, voice, and spirit.
- Psalm 107:8 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
- Ephesians 5:19, 20 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
- Service of love – The believer puts the needs of others above herself.
- Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
- John 13:34, 35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
- Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
*The following has been modified from a counseling project I completed while attending Ambassador Baptist College.